Sunday 7 April 2019

Review of the day

There was no joy with the final days tips - which was a bit disappointing, as I quite fancied a couple of them !

I don’t want to make excuses, but I was again taken aback by the state of the ground at Aintree.
They were running close to course records today - which considering it was borderline heavy, less than 48 hours ago, almost beggars belief.

Certainly I don’t think the quick ground helped at least a couple of the tips - though I guess there’s the chance that they may not have been good enough, regardless !

Burbank was the first one to run - and I suspect he would have fared better on slower ground.
Certainly that was the suggestion from the way he stayed on powerfully into fourth place.

I said this morning that I thought the betting would foretell his fate - so my expectations were suitably low when I saw him returned with a BSP of over 50 !

In the circumstances, he ran better than I expected - though in truth, he never looked like winning…

Kateson was probably my strongest tip on the day - but he definitely would have preferred softer ground.

He was never travelling as well as I would have liked - and whilst he was still in with a chance jumping the second last, he was then quickly beaten.

I’m sure he is better than he looked today (the fact Brewinupastorm finished second, supports that statement) - but it’s likely to be next winter before he can show it.

Clondaw Castle was the next tip to run - and I don’t think the ground was the issue for him.

A bit like Topofthegame yesterday, it just looked to me as if his Cheltenham exertions had taken the edge off him.

As I said on the opening day, that’s always a possibility at Aintree - though unfortunately, you don't know whether it’s the case, until it’s too late.

Again, I’m sure he’ll bounce back in the fullness of time and show himself better than he appeared today.

In terms of how they ran, then On Tour probably did the best of the days tips.

He travelled strongly through the race - and was brought to deliver his challenge at the second last.

However, it was soon apparent that he had nothing left in reserve - and he was quickly beaten.

The race was fought out by 2 of the younger, progressive horses - which I knew was always a possibility - but so did the market...

It was the Grand National next - and both of the tips performed with credit.

Pleasant Company was still within a length of the lead, when he made a bad mistake and unshipped Paul Townend at the fourth last; and whilst Dounikos still appeared to be in with a chance at that point, he then weakened alarmingly, and was pulled up before the second last.

In truth, even if they had got round, I doubt they would have troubled Tiger Roll, who put in another mighty performance.
He really is a bit of an equine freak !

Kilbricken Strom was the only Mention on the day - and he almost certainly under-performed because of the quick ground.

I suspect that was also the case for Apples Jade.
Superficially, she may have appeared to run well in finishing a close third, to If the Cap Fits - but I suspect she ran about a stone below her best…


So that’s it for the 2018-19 TVB season ! 

As I said this morning, I’ll aim to get out an end of season report, at some point in the next fortnight - along with a feedback survey.

As always, it’s been an enjoyable few months for me - even if there has been the occasional stressful day along the way !

Thanks to you all for your support throughout the season: I hope you’ve also found it enjoyable - and profitable !

I also hope that the majority of you will want to return in the autumn, when I kick off the 2019-20 season !

Best wishes to you all for the summer ahead !

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment