Sunday 24 February 2019

Review of the day

Today provided a timely reminder, that TVB is best used, not purely as a tipping service !

As I said this morning, there was so much quality racing, it almost had me going round in circles.

I analysed approximately 20 races yesterday - and spent this morning writing up my thoughts on the races, on which I’d spent the longest.

To support that, I issued 8 tips (1 was a NR) - and 4 Mentions - and at the end of the day, those 12 selections yielded between them, 4 winners and 2 seconds.

More than that, if you have backed all of the selections at around 9:00 - and taken BOG - you would have been rewarded with winners at 25/1, 9/1, 9/1 and 8/1 !

And yet, despite all of this, the tips some how managed to record a small loss on the day.
Now that takes a bit of doing !

Part of the issue is that I have so much else to do, the actual tipping can take a bit of back seat (particularly on a day like today).
That said, I do my best to try and pick out the days best bets and make them tips - and I also think there was simply an element of misfortune in the way things worked out this afternoon…

In terms of the performance of the tips, then Now McGinty got the ball rolling, with a gutsy second at Ascot.
He got in to a bit of a pace battle with Top VIlle Ben - and I suspect that ultimately cost him his chance of winning.
He lost his position at the end of the back straight but was staying on strongly, after the last.
Ridden differently, it’s not hard to think that he would have gone very close…

I expected Down the Highway to go close at Haydock - but he was disappointing.
I can’t offer any excuse for his run - simply, he wasn’t good enough.

It was a similar story with Didtheyleaveuoutto - though my expectation of him, wasn’t as great.
I always thought that Al Dancer and Getaway Trump would take a bit of beating - and it was the former who proved himself a very well handicapped horse…

With Impulsive Star a non runner, it was left to Pobbles Bay and Robinsfrith to try and rescue something in the big race at Haydock.
The former was never really given a chance - ridden way out the back.
However the latter was ridden more prominently - and showed a great attitude after the last, to come home first, in a driving finish.

That could have set things up for the big tip of the day: Politologue - but he was no match for his stablemate, Cyrname.

To be honest, I was a little fearful when I saw the pre-race drift on Politologue - and the market support for Cyrname.
I hoped it was down to their running styles (Cyrname likes to lead, so makes a good in running play) - but it soon became apparent that wasn’t the reason.

In fairness, Cyrname was absolutely brilliant - and put in a performance far better than I thought him capable.
It was a little disappointing that Politologue couldn’t even manage to get second - though from a P&L perspective, it would have made no difference.

The final 2 tips on the day, were even bigger drifters than Politologue - and both ran accordingly !

I was right to take on Kateson at Haydock - however, I picked the wrong horse to side with, as Highland Hunter never threatened to get involved.

Whilst, The Way you Dance, made a strong play for the title of ‘drifter of the season’, at Ascot !
He was 16/1 this morning - but his BSP of 71, more accurately expressed his actual chance of winning !
In fairness, he travelled OK, to a point - but he was beaten as soon as pressure was applied.
I knew he was a little risky - though I wasn’t quite expecting that !

As for the Mentions:
Then Brio Conte set things off, by winning at 25/1 - even though Paul Nichols had said he would need the run ! (a statement which doubtless helped his price !).
That was followed up by Shades of Midnight - who took full advantage of Yanworths under-whelming effort, to run out a very comfortable winner.
The hat-trick of winning Mentions was completed by Calipto - who was another impressive winner.
The only losing Mention on the day, was Terrefort - though he still ran well to finish second, to an ultra impressive Clan des Obeaux…

All in all, I wasn’t too sure what to make of the day - but I know there was at least  one subscriber who was very pleased with the way things worked out…

Steve has been with the service for a number of years - and often puts the Mentions in multiples.
I recall that tactic paying off, a few years ago just after Christmas - and it did so again for him today, in spectacular style !

A £1 EW patent apparently paid just over £3K - which just goes to show what can be achieved.

If only I’d made them all tips, then maybe a few more of you would have done the same !

Very well done Steve - whilst for the rest of you, there’s always next week...

TVB.   

No comments:

Post a Comment