Saturday 26 January 2019

Review of the day

I had a feeling after the very first race today, that it was going to be one of those days - and that’s pretty much how it worked out…

In fairness, we’ve not had one for quite some time - so maybe it was due - but I still find them incredibly frustrating !

In the opening race, I tipped the Joseph O’Brien trained Fine Brunello.
As I said this morning, I slightly preferred the chances of his stablemate, Fekir D’ourdries - but the price had gone on him, by the time I was able to tip.

It is an ongoing source of frustration, that I need the horses I fancy to be available at decent prices, at 9:00 in the morning - and often that’s not the case (even though they sometimes are - both before and
after, that time !).
I guess it comes with the territory - but it certainly doesn’t make the job any easier…

Anyway, Fine Brunello ran a huge race for a 25/1 shot - but couldn’t peg back - you’ve guessed it, Fekir D’oudaries..!

I don't suppose anyone had the forecast, did they ?!

The second tip to run was Ballyhill - and he also ran well.
However, he couldn’t get to the spring heeled Siruh du Lac.

Again, I could have been interested in the winner - but he was 5/1 this morning - which was tight enough.

He drifted to 7/1 pre-race - and even his SP of 6/1 might possibly have tempted me in - if it had been an option…

Hastrubal was the third tip to run - and the biggest one of the day.

I was happy with price we could get on him this morning - even if it didn’t last too long !

He was back out to 5/1 on BF at the off, however - and ran really poorly…

I can’t offer an explanation for his laboured effort.
His jumping was OK (if a little ponderous) - but he just looked slow.

Disappointing stuff…

I was also disappointed by the effort of Federici at Doncaster.

I didn’t necessarily expect him to win (though with Dingo Dollars under-performing, he should have stood a chance) - but I did expect him to go close.

Instead, he gave away the outside to no-one - and was already beaten, turning in…

Midnight Shadow was the final tip on the day - but again there was no joy with him.

He ran reasonably well - but the concern with him was his stamina and ultimately, it did look as if he failed to stay the trip.

Paisley Park was the other horse of significant interest in the race - and he came home an impressive winner.
However, he was well backed to do so - which would have made it difficult to support him (as it appeared a competitive race).

Just to add to the days frustration, things panned out in a similar fashion for the Mentions:

Spiritofthegames was backed in to favouritism - but couldn’t get to original favourite, Kildisart (who had drifted out to a quite appealing 9/2);
Terrefort looked sure to win the Cotswold chase - but didn’t get home (which was what was supposed to happen to Frodon !).
Birchdale was the sole winning Mention on the day - but he got a bit lucky as he appeared held by Brewinupastorm, when that one fell at the last.
Whilst in the Cheltenham finale, Maquisard was also a faller - and Flashing the Steel couldn’t withstand the late challenge of Benny’s Bridge…

We’ve not had many poor days this month - but today was one and I didn’t enjoy it much.
I’ll certainly be  looking to get back into the winning groove, next weekend !

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment