Monday 18 March 2019

Review of the day

Victory for Early Doors in the final race, meant that the day finished almost level - and ensured that Cheltenham week wasn’t a complete disaster…

Objectively, the damage was done yesterday: but a better jump from Road to Respect at the third last - or a stumble from Paisley Park at the last, and things would have been very different.
They are fines lines…

And that was the case again today, when in addition to Early Doors, both Eclair du Beaufeur and Shantou Flyer, could easily have come home in front - granted a bit of luck.
That said, there were plenty of other runners who could claim the same - such is the nature of the Cheltenham festival…

In terms of specifics, then the day got off to the worse possible start, when Sir Erec broke his leg in the opener.
It’s always a horrible thing to see - even accepting that it comes with the territory…

The race was won Pentland Hills, who was having just his second run over hurdles.
Whether he would have won, if fate hadn’t snarled at Sir Erec, is anyones guess - though in fairness, he did look a worthy winner of the race.

Eclair de Beaufeur and Mr Adjudicator, were the first tips to run on the day: and whilst the latter never really featured, the former could arguably have won.

Certainly the in-running bettors believed that to be the case, as he went odds on,  when shooting clear off the home turn.
However Jack Kennedy had mis-timed his effort - and the horse was already beaten, when it ejected him at the last.

It was disappointing - but every jockey makes the occasional mistake, and generally Kennedy is one of the best around.

Next it was the Albert Bartlett hurdle - and I felt it was a race in which there might be a shock.
And I was right, as 50/1 shot (BSP 140 !), Minella Indo, was an impressive winner.

If I’m honest, he’s not one I would have picked, even given a few stabs at the race - so maybe it was a bullet dodged…

I could have picked Al Boum Photo, given a few shots at the Gold Cup.

I was just put off by his run behind Presenting Percy in last years RSA - but he completely reversed the form this afternoon.

Shattered Love ran a big race, but was never quite close enough - and possibly didn’t quite get home.
She had been narrowly beaten by Al Boum Photo last year, and I suspect she will be  capable of winning a grade 1 chase herself, given the right conditions….

Next it was the Foxhunters - and possibly the most disappointing result of the week !

I thought I had found one, when I picked up on Shantou Flyer a few weeks back - and he went very close to proving me right.
However, like Sam Spinner yesterday, there was one just a bit too good for him on the day.

He wasn’t unlucky, so I can have no real complaints - but it would have been very nice, if he could have run just that little bit faster !

The penultimate race of the day was the Grand Annual - and that proved disappointing…

I felt I had put us in a good position with Magic Saint and Le Prezein - and I was still feeling that way, turning in.
Both horses looked to be going strongly - but then, in just a few strides, both were beaten !

It was odd to watch - and if the Nicholls horses hadn't been running so well all week, you might have thought something was ailing them…

The race was won in spectacular style by the 12 year old, Croco Bay.
He did have previous in the race - but had only run once in the past 12 months - and hadn’t been out since last summer.

His SP of 66/1 seemed a little tight, with his BSP of 180, looking far nearer the mark !
A virtually impossible one to pick, I think…

And so to the final race.

I felt this morning, that despite the numbers, it was likely to boil down to a match between Early Doors and Dallas de Pictons - and that's exactly what happened.

Even after the last, it was difficult to figure out which one was going to come out on top.
But thankfully, after a few near misses, Early Doors got the better of their dual - and rescued the day.

In the circumstance, I feel it was the least we deserved….


And so endeth another festival.
As a spectacle is was breathtaking - as a punting medium, I found it very hard…

I need to take stock of how I handle things.
I’ve got an approach which works well, week in, week out, throughout the rest of the season - but I’m not convinced it works for Cheltenham.

I think I’ll need to change things a little next season - so I’ll be giving some thought to exactly what and how.

That can all wait though - I now need to start studying for Uttoxeter and Kempton tomorrow.

There really is no rest for the wicked :)

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment