Sunday 30 December 2018

Review of the day

I’m pretty sure that with double the time, I could have done very well today !

Unfortunately, that’s not how it works and I have to shoe-horn what I can, into the time available.

As a consequence, I can’t fully investigate all of the angles I would like to - and I get one or two of the marginal calls wrong…

Despite that, I managed to deliver a winning day for the tips - I just know it could have been a lot better !

The main success on the day, was Le Bague au Roi, who produced a wonderful performance, to take the Kauto Star novice chase at Kempton.

As I said this morning, the field assembled for the race was absolutely top class - so much so, that Bags Groove, a horse who has been taking apart lesser quality fields, with accurate jumping and aggressive front running - couldn’t even make it to the lead !

That wasn’t great for Le Bague au Roi - although with her happy enough slotting in behind, she probably wasn’t too bothered who made the running - so long as something did !

At times, her jumping was beyond belief - and her will to win, clearly knows no bounds.

When she was challenged in the home straight by Topofthegame, the writing looked to be on the wall - but she’s so game, she just battled back, regained the lead with a fine jump at the last and then held him off on the run in.

It was a magnificent sight - and epitomised all that is good about NH racing…

There were only 2 other tips on the day - and unfortunately neither of them performed quite so well !

Allysson Monterg looked to be in a bit of a mood, at Wetherby.

He wasn’t keen to set off - and he put in a few ponderous leaps.

I think Le Bague au Roi needs to have a word with him about his attitude…!

There was nothing wrong with The Sweeneys attitude.

He was incredibly well backed - in from 14/1 early to 6/1.

However, a late drift out to 10 on BF at the off, probably told the tale more accurately…

In fairness, he ran well - he just wasn’t good enough to trouble the progressive Erick le Rouge (plus a few others !).

In the opener on the Kempton card, Fly to Mars ran well - and finished last !
The race was won by Mister Fisher - who looks to be going places…

The novice handicap was won by Glen Forsa - with Glen Rocco getting up for second.
They were both on my short list - which admittedly wasn’t too short !

There was a shock in the Christmas hurdle, when Buveur Dair was beaten by his stable companion, Verdana Blue.

As I inferred it might, the race came down to tactics - and Barry Geraghty arguably played the favourite a little early (though it would have been hard for him to delay his challenge).
That made him vulnerable on the run in - and Verdana Blue took full advantage.

Finally at Kempton, Clan des Obeaux won an amazing King George.

I resisting saying anything, as it would have been pointless to do so - but I got within a whisker of tipping Thistlecrack for the race, before he ran in the Betfair chase.
He was 25/1 for the King George at the time…

How I was ruing that decision, as the horse powered into the lead approaching the third last.
However, I couldn’t believe my eyes as Clan des Obeaux then appeared on his outside, cantering !

As I said this morning, a theoretical case could be made for him - but the fact remained, on the book he had a huge amount to do.
Well, the horse is clearly improving in leaps and bounds and he jumped past Thistlecrack at the last, to record a most impressive win.

It’s a funny old game , at times….

As for the days other Mentions: then at Wetherby, rather than light up Willie Boy, the cheek pieces worked perfectly - and he sauntered home, seemingly without a care in the world.
Get on the Yaegar never featured…

Over in Ireland there were a couple of tough results:

Firstly, Rocky Blue made me rue my decision not to take a small risk on him, by winning the juvenile hurdle.
He was a general 20/1 shot this morning - but I felt I was guessing a bit to much.
As I’ve said in the past, I’m actually quite good at guessing !

Finally, Le Richeburg won the other graded race on the card.
I might have been more inclined to take a risk on him, if his price had held up.
However it didn’t and I felt there was minimal margin in the odds available.

As is often the case, that didn't stop him winning - and he came home a very comfortable winner.

I console myself in the knowledge that Liam would have been on them both - probably…!

Finally, a quick mention for Craig's Colossus bets, in the forum:

It’s not something I follow too closely (due to time constraints) - but I believe he managed to scoop a big win today (around £1,700 !).
Very well done !

I believe there are usually a few spaces available on most of the syndicates, if any more of you would like to get involved…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment