Sunday 30 December 2018

Review of the day

I feel like I’ve said this a few times lately - but I’m not sure how to sum up a day like today !

I have to be honest and say that I struggled to know what to do with my potential selections this morning.
I had 6 on my list of possible tips - but didn’t feel massively confident about any of them.

That said, I knew they all had a chance - and were over-priced - but you get nothing in this game for spotting theoretical value !

I ended up issuing 5 tips - ditching the one on the opener at Leopardstown, because it was a relatively small race - and because the price with the bookmakers was half what it was on BF - and because my internet crashed as I was about to send it out !

Needless to say, the horse in question was Speaker Connelly - and it won at 12/1.
Not a great start to the day..!

And things didn’t get whole lot better when the first actual tip ran.
That was Knight in Dubai, at Newbury.

I thought the market might foretell his fate - so I was a little perturbed to see him drift to 25 on BF at the off !

In fairness, he could be read a few ways - and with Bridget Andrews in the saddle (instead of Harry Skelton) - and the horse returning to hurdles after a fall over fences, the price drift was maybe understandable.

However, he ran a massive race - and in another stride would have won.

If that wasn’t enough, just 5 minutes later, Mental ran almost as well at Leopardstown - and got the same result !

He tracked the favourite Delta Work into the straight - but had to switched inside approaching the last.
That seemed to unbalance the horse - and he didn’t meet the final fence on a stride.

He propped on landing, handing the initiative back to Delta Work - and that was the game over.

So, 2 tips in - and 2 seconds, both of whom traded heavily odds-on in-running !

At times like that, I’m glad I issue all the tips in advance, as keeping a level head, isn't easy !

Hey Bill was the third tip to run - and he ran a fair race - without ever looking likely to win.

I was right in my assessment that it was a very open race - as there were still 4 in a chance with 50 yards to run !

Caroles Destrier eventually came out on top - and I could easily have picked him - though that wasn’t much of a consolation !

Next up it was Alsa Mix - and she was probably the only disappointment on the day.

It was a race where a lot of guesswork was required - I just felt that the favourite, Champ, should be taken on.

Alas I was wrong - and he won nicely.
Maybe he is worthy of his name after all...

The final tip on the day was Da Rasher Counter.

As I inferred this morning, I didn’t tip him because I felt he was the most likely winner - but because I felt he had a chance and was over-priced.

And on a day when everything that could go wrong - had gone wrong - he somehow won out in a close finish !

It was a bit bizarre really - and I’m sure it only happened to force me to change the tone of this review !

That Sods Law really is beyond belief, some times !

I’m sure Emma Lavelle was thinking similar…
She has an amazing record at Doncaster - but her Enniscoffey Oscar barely lifted a hoof and finished well beaten in the final race there.
However, just 15 minutes later, De Rasher Counter ran at Newbury - where she had saddled over 50 runners since her last winner - and bingo !
Maybe she was due a change in fortune !

As for the days other Mentions:
Then Station Master was let down by his jumping and never featured in a race, which I’m sure he should have won !
On the other hand, Valadom ran precisely the race I expected.
His BSP was 17 and he traded at 1.4 in running.
If anyone who tried, didn’t manage to ‘DOB’ on him, they should probably find a different way to try and make money !

Finally, the stamina of Lady Buttons held out sufficiently for her to win the mares chase.
That said, on softer ground - or in a stronger race - she wouldn’t have got home.
I’ll be bearing that in mind if she is asked to tackle the trip again…

It was quite some day..!

TVB. 

No comments:

Post a Comment