Sunday 30 December 2018

Review of the day

There was no joy with today tips - which considering I felt pretty positive about  them all, was a little disappointing…

First up was Dusky Lark, but he was probably the one I felt least confident about.

I was sure he would run well - but less sure he would win - and ultimately, that’s how it panned out…

He ran a solid race to finish second - but was no match for the well handicapped Doitforthevillage.

My doubt with the winner, was whether he would stay the longer trip on soft ground - well he didn't just stay it, he relished it - and that being the case he was always going to be hard to beat.

Dusky Lark lost little in defeat - but won nothing either !

Next up it was Law Girl.

I thought I’d spotted something with her, which is why I was prepared to take a risk and tip her.

As I said this morning, she was very strong in the early betting (probably down to us !) - but come the off, she was back out to 20/1 on BF - and with outsiders, that’s rarely a good sign.

Conversely, her stable companion, Jetez, was very well backed - and at a time in the day when money tends to talk !
He too was 20/1 early but was sent off at 11/1 - and ended up a comfortable  winner.

Law Girl meanwhile, showed very little…

In truth, Vintage Clouds and Final Nudge were even more disappointing in the Welsh National.
I knew that Law Girl was risky - but I felt that they were both very solid selections…

I would think that maybe they got caught out chasing too fast a pace - but Yala Enki, who also chased the pace, stayed on to finish third…

In truth, I’ve no idea what happened with either of them - but suffice say, neither completed the course…

Springtown Lake was the final tip to run - and the biggest - and if he had won, I don't think the rest of the day would have mattered too much.

He led from the start and gave it his best shot - but his jumping wasn’t slick enough - and ultimately that cost him.

I guess I was a little disappointed - but simply, he wasn’t good enough on the day…

In terms of the Mentions:
Then Dynamite Dollars got them off to a good start, by holding off Kalashnikov.
As I expected the race wasn’t enough of a test for the latter and he shouldn’t be too harshly judge on todays run.

Jubilympics ran a fair race in the mares hurdle - but having led to the home straight, her stamina then ran out (which was always a possibility).

Over at Chepstow, Arvene was no match for either Quel Destin or Adjali - though in fairness, he was a very speculative one: whilst at Wetherby, the first time visor seemed to send Just Cameron loopy - and his race was effectively lost after a couple of fences.
On the flip side, his mark is likely to be dropped significantly - and he could be very interesting next time…

At Leopardstown, Triplicate was sent into the lead in the novice hurdle - but he too looked in a bit of mess and didn’t run his race.
He had beaten the race winner, Aramon at Listowel - and finished ahead of him last time - so there should have been little between the pair.

Finally, there was a big turn up in the Paddy Power chase.
I had a short list of 4 - but the best they could manage, was 4th and 5th.

That said, with a ‘short list’ of 24, I doubt I would have found the winner !

Auvergnat had been running in cross country races - and over further - so I’ve no idea how he won today (and he didn’t just win, he bolted up !).
He was returned at 28/1 - but I would have been happy to offer at least double that !
Some results you just can’t explain…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment